Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 23 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

What do I start lookiing out for with 200Kompressor 2008

Customer Question

What do I start lookiing out for with 200Kompressor 2008 with 200,000 ks on clock? Regularly serviced. Or is it time to go? Evert
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model of your '08 Mercedes?
Customer: W204 Wagon
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: There isn't anything wrong, just wondering if it will go another 150,000kms with out any major things going wrong. The retail of this car is about $12,000 - $$15,000 for these miles so I'm thinking it might be cost effective just to keep it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Basically its a good car
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

What to watch out for

Complaint of noisy electric folding mirrors.

Serious issues with piezo injectors of 220 CDIs cracking in later 2009. Many cars off the road for extended periods. Supply problems of replacement injectors, apparently made in Malaysia.

Seems to be a widespread problem with automatic transmissions. MB is instructing dealers to replace the transmission valve control body, but there is a shortage of parts.

Battery drains over about 2 weeks seems to be a problem.

Problem of premature wear of timing chain sprocket for balancer shaft of M272 and M273 V6 petrol engines. Mercedes Star bulletin about this. Big job. Can cost £4,000.

Several reports of brown stains appearing on alloy wheels of C-Class at 2 - 3 years old.

Paint problem after 4 years on front and rear bumpers of solid red painted examples.

C350 has propensity to blow 477 H7 dipped beam bulbs.

Uresolved dashboard rattle irritating some owners. Apparently MB is aware and is developing a kit to fix it?

Report of MoT Advisory for rusting brake pipes on 45k mile November 2007/57 C220 CDI.

Plastic interior door handles of W204 and S204 C Class seem to be breaking regularly. The first to fail is the drivers because it is the most used. Because these are an integral part of the door panel and not available separately, the cost to replace is £374 (inc VAT), plus fitting. Up to 75% is offered in 'Goodwill' in Germany. Nothing so far in the UK.

Plastic interior door handles of W204 C Class seem to be breaking regularly. The first to fail is the drivers because it is the most used. Because these are an integral part of the door panel and not available separately, the cost to replace is £374 (inc VAT), plus fitting. Up to 75% is offered in 'Goodwill' in Germany. Nothing so far in the UK.

Glycol contamination of automatic transmission fluid via the transmission heat exchanger can still sometimes occur, necessitatiing a new radiator and heat exchanger and flushing out and changing of ATF.

Rusted brake pipes reported on 2007 Mercedes W204 C320, replaced at 45k miles, then at 66k miles paint on rear wheelarches flaked off and surface corrosion set in (see photo).

Another injector failure reported on 2011 S204 Mercedes C220 CDI Blue Efficiency.

Oil pump failure reported on 126k mile 2007 Mercedes C220 CDI.

jerks from 7G automatic transmission in C-Class less than 3 years old were not cured by a dealer software update. An automatic transmission fluid change did cure the problem, but the dealer tried to charge for it.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Recalls

13-10-2010: MB is recalling around 85,000 Mercedes Benz C- and E-class models in the US to fix a problem with power steering systems, the US traffic authority NHTSA said. MB told Agence France Presse that the recall is likely to be extended to other countries. The NHTSA added that a problem with the steering system's pump could lead to a loss of fluid leading to a loss of power assistance when parking. Daimler stressed that drivers retained control of the car even in the event of a power steering failure. MB said it will fix the problem in 2010 and 2011 models this month by re-tightening a faulty fitting.

07-01-2011: Diesel ML, C, E, S and R class: Fuel may leak. VIN from WDC1641211A626833 to WDD2183232A000277

26-01-2012: Diesel C Class , CLS Class, E Class, S Class, R Class, G Class, GLK Class and GL class: Fuel may leak. VIN from WDD2210261A374759 to WDD2210262A395344

26-01-2012: Diesel C Class , CLS Class, E Class, S Class, R Class, G Class, GLK Class and GL class: Fuel may leak. VIN from WDD2040011A512447 to WDD2043032F646730

1-3-2012. Alerted to Urgent Safety Recall for Mercedes Benz diesels. This relates to a possible diesel fuel leak which may develop at the fuel filter assembly. The dealer will replace the fuel filter.

21-1-2014: Heard of TSB to replace the Piezo electric injectors of 2.1 litre 250CDIs if customers complain of engine malfunction light coming on. Goes back to at least 2010 W204 C-Class.

30-4-2014: Just-Auto reports that Mercedes-Benz USA, is recalling 252,867 model year 2008-2011 C300, C300 4Matic, C350, and C63 AMGs built from 26 January 2007, to 13 July 2011. A poor electrical ground connection may result in the dimming or failure of the tail lights. MB USA is notifying owners. Dealers will replace the bulb holders if not previously updated and replace any corroded connectors, free of charge. Parts are not currently available. Owners will be sent an interim notification in June. A second letter will be mailed when parts are available, currently expected to be in August or September. Owners may contact Mercedes.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2008 Mercedes-Benz C200 Kompressor Classic Auto Wagon. (W204)
May not have been clear in my questions Matt, I only want to know about this car, and major things that are known to have gone wrong, when having a bigger mileage on the clock? Evert
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

well to summarise the my 1st answer in respect of what can fail over 200 k miles

Door handles are prone to breaking off

alloy wheels can develop stains from wheel nuts

power steering pump losing fluid

taillights can become dim over time

auto transmission can become jerky over time

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
engine life, and auto, with continued service over another 150,000 kms, is not an issue?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

Yes provided you use fully synthetic oils for both and ignore the mercedes directive that the 'transmission' is sealed for 'life' as life will be about 150k miles otherwise

its better to replace it every 45 - 50K miles

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi

do you still need help?