Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

We have a MERC 311 box van 2009 and intermittently its

Customer Question

We have a MERC 311 box van 2009 and intermittently its sending out plumes of grey smoke from the exhaust. If you turn the van off and then on again it stops for a period. The oil never goes down, it infact gets higher so once evry 1-2 months we have to have an oil change done. We have had the turbo refurbished, the injectors replaced with no luck. The garage is not sure what the problem is. Could it be a regen happening too often? Any help / advise greatly appreciated. Regards, Luke
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: Just doing one now, the one before was maybe 2 months ago
JA: What is the model of your '09 Mercedes?
Customer: the 311 i think
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its a garage doing the work, we now them well. They are stumped. The ingectors have been replaced, the turbo changed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The oil going up as well as the smoke indicates fuel is getting into the engine oil.If all injectors were replaced and did not resolve this issue here more fuel components need inspected like fuel injector return lines,injector housings,seals or cups for issues as well as any fuel return ports that may be leaking.This causes fuel to enter the oil and thin out the oil causing the smoke here as well as raising the engine oil level over time.The regen or DPF/exhaust filter will not cause the engine oil to over fill.It is also possible this is a cylinder head gasket leak or cracked cylinder head allowing engine coolant to enter the engine oil causing the smoke and over fill as well.

These will have to be checked into/tested further to locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete