Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

P1700, P0170 P0303 codes, I took it to the shop last week

Customer Question

P1700, P0170 P0303 codes
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: I took it to the shop last week for a scan and diagnostic.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1995 C280
JA: Are you fixing your C280 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm not DIY much as I would like to. but I have been giving my C280 a lot of TLC and so far it hasnt quit on me yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: but the mechanic fixed a vaccum leak...
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** you give me a little background on the car? Are these the current fault codes? How is the car running? Has any work been done in an effort to repair the fault codes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There was work done to take carevof the vaccum leak. Performance improved somewhat but the check engine light came back on. And there seems to be a jerking and clunking noise only happens at 1800 rpm
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Okay, looking at the fault codes I would suggest the mechanic address the P0303 code next. I suspect that the P0170 code may have been solved by repairing the vacuum leak. If that code is still there you may have more vacuum leaks or there may be a fault with the mass air flow sensor of with the fuel pressure. The P0303 is probably caused by a bad spark plug or plug wire or ignition coil. The P1700 is a transmission upshift delay fault code. The mechanic should check the vacuum box on the kickdown cable to see if it is leaking vacuum.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.

Marty