Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I took my MB SL 500 to the dealer because the trunk wouldn't

Customer Question

I took my MB SL 500 to the dealer because the trunk wouldn't close completely. They said it was the lock actuator. I had them to order the part and repair it. Soon after my trunk light in the middle of the trunk was gone when my wife arrived at home after about a week. The dealer stated it had nothing to do with the repair. Your thoughts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thanks

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Normally I am totally an advocate for the customer, but in this case it is more then likely not related to the repair they did on your car. IF the light stopped working the day you picked the car up, then I would say there is some potential there, but if it wasn't immediately then it's likely not related.

I suspect either the light itself has failed or it's also possible the wiring from the body out to the trunk has gotten pinched or broken.

Sorry

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The light didn't stop working. The red outer part of the light in the center of the trunk itself was missing after a week. It fell out of the trunk completely. The only thing in the slot was the strip of clear LED lights. I know the actuator is behind and below the light and that the light has to be disconnected to change out. I want to verify that trying to remove or replace the actuator and trunk shocks didn't damage the trunk light or was it a coincidence that after owning this car for 6 years in excellent condition that this light just fell out of the trunk.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, I misunderstood!!

Ok, I just took a look at the actuator repair procedure. Other then removing the inner covers, there's nothing near the light itself that should have caused this problem. However, I cannot say that they followed exact procedure and it does seem odd that it would happen after you had work done on the trunk area of the car.

Biggest problem is I am not sure how you would go about proving it was actually caused by the work they did. Again, I can confirm only that the third light should not have to be removed to replace the trunk lock actuator.

I'm sorry for the delay in my response and also sorry I misunderstood what had actually happened here.