Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I just purchased a 1985 380 SL with only 61,000km's. it has

Customer Question

Hi, I just purchased a 1985 380 SL with only 61,000km's. it has sat in a heated garage for the past 5 years. It fortunately runs great, with one exception, I have a gas leak under the rear of the car. I have replaced the small 3" gas line and have ordered the longer (12") line from the tank to the Fuel Injection Pressure Damper. I was wondering if it could be leaking from the Fuel Injection Pressure Damper. What would your opinion be?
Thanks Scott
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Hi Scott, the damper is just a metal can. It's possible that the can rusted out and is leaking. I'd replace all of the rubber hoses first. I'd also check the fuel pressure accumulator that is mounted next to the fuel filter. Check the filter also and the pump to be sure they are not leaking. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Marty