Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

Just changed the driver rear air spring but the spring is

Customer Question

Just changed the driver rear air spring but the spring is not inflating. It is a new Arnott and it is compressed so I can't expand it for it to seat properly.
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Car started leaning 3 weeks ago. 124000
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: R350. 2007
JA: Are you fixing your R350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fixing it myself. Initially removed the fuses, removed white hose, white clip at top, removed air spring. Again, new air sprint is compressed so it is not touching the top white clip and the bottom housing area near the caliper at the bottom
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 1 month ago.
Can you hear the airmatic compressor turn on when you start the car?
The R class has a very primitive rear vehicle level measurement system. It will look at the average of both sensors and sometimes not apply pressure to the new spring because the other side is reading normal.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What should the compressor sound like
I would make sure the air spring is clipped into the white clip and then do your best to align the bottom hole up (be careful because it is indexed). Note the colored marks on each white air line for both rear springs. Install the wheel and lower the vehicle. Then go the valve block under the hood by the passenger head light. Loosen the two marked/colored air lines that correspond to the colors at each rear air spring. Wait until all the air escapes before retightening. Be careful because they can strip out if over torqued or threads not started by hand. Now restart the car
The compressor will sound like an air pump. It is located under the passenger head light, just in front of the right front wheel.
Air pump for a bicycle/car tire. It vibrates a little bit.
Let me know if that procedure does not work. If not, you should spray all connections with soapy water to check for leaks.