Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Replacing an accelerator pedal on a 1991 Mercedes 300se. Old

Customer Question

Replacing an accelerator pedal on a 1991 Mercedes 300se. Old part broke off on the floor
linkage and I can't get it off. Have the new pedal ready to go. Any ideas on how to get the broken off part off? It does revolve on the linkage. Thanks, BH
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** you post some pictures of the broken part that you are trying to remove?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Marty-I could send pics on my i-phone but I don't want to spend any more. The piece broken off on the florr linkage for the gas pedal is the round (oblong) plastic part that fits within the pedal-this appears to be a common problem with this series car and indeed there is a you-tube video featuring this exact car model and showing the replacement of the pedal but not how the broken part is removed from the linkage. A mechanis may show up today but I would rather repair this myself.Should the part just "slip off" the linkage? Thanks, Bob
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Hi Bob, the metal piece is welded to the floor of the car. The oblong plastic part of the pedal pushes over the metal piece and is retained in place by a plastic clip. Have you removed the plastic clip from the bottom of the pedal? If you have then the pedal should just wiggle off of the metal bracket.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Marty-Hi-yes, the clip is removed as well as the pedal. You can see on the pedal where the part that fits on the linkage is broken off-still on the linkage. So I know how to get the new pedal on, but the old piece that holds the pedal to the linkage is stopping me-do I... (1) chisel it off? (2) saw it off? It's a mercedes-there has to be a protocol for this???
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

I need to see a picture. There should not be any additional charge to send me a picture.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

I am confused by what you are referring to as linkage. There is no linkage there is just a fixed bracket on the floor.