Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

We got our E320 Sedan brand new in 2001. I had ever drove

Customer Question

We got our E320 Sedan brand new in 2001. I had ever drove it, just around town mostly, so it only has 145,000 on it. Last week our transmission went out, so we would have to replace it. I talked to a Mercedes mechanic and he said that is very unusual for that to happen with such low miles despite the age of the car. What do you think?
JA: Have you made sure the transmission is getting power?
Customer: Yes. I had a mobile mechanic look at it today because we can't drive it and he showed me the codes it was throwing off.
JA: What year is your E320 Sedan?
Customer: As I said it is a 2001 we bought new back then, we are the only owners.
JA: Are you fixing your E320 Sedan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only oil changes (my son can do small repairs on cars) and brake pads, nothing else.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** 145,000 miles it is very possible that the transmission is worn out. I have rebuilt many of the Mercedes transmissions with far less miles than yours. It is possible however that your transmission does not need to be replaced or rebuilt. It is very common for the electronics plate in the transmission to fail and cause the transmission to malfunction. If there are fault codes stored for the transmission speed sensors or for slippage I would suggest that the fluid level be checked and the transmission pan removed and inspected for debris that would indicate a transmission failure. If there is very little debris in the pan this problem may be repairable by replacing the electronics plate in the transmission.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Do you need anymore help with this? Was my answer helpful? Please let me know.