MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

06 ML 500 battery died, when attempting to jump start it,

Customer Question

06 ML 500 battery died, when attempting to jump start it, the alarm went off and now key wont turn, steering lock, etc...How can I jump start it
JA: Do you have another key you can try this with?
Customer: yes. no luck
JA: What is the model of your '06 Mercedes?
Customer: ML 500
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Using tje smart button, using the key fob and gently turning steering wheel - not working. It has no power
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is connected to another car via cable in the duration
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the jumper cables were installed backwards or arced at any time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi. Initially the negative cable for the ML500 was tacked to the hood stop rather than the negative terminal. But it didn't do anything, so I checked the manual and placed it on the correct negative terminal. Once I was in the car, the alarm went off, I turned it off using the key fob, and everything went into lockdown. No power, lights or anything. Steering wheel is locked and attempts to use the fob as key (removing the start button) also futile. (I had a 2005 ML350 which had a safety release- does this one have that option?) Second key did not work either.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a voltage meter to run some tests?