FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

Stopping at a red light the other day my 2004 e55 amg

Customer Question

Stopping at a red light the other day my 2004 e55 amg sputtered out and stalled. Wouldn't fire back up turns over but won't let it spark. 10 amp fuel pump locking fuse keeps blowing in trunk
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: Yes I just opened the fuel pumps and on passenger side pump looks to be arcing out at the top connecter which assuming means it's the issue. But where am I getting the arc from is where I need to find
JA: What is the model of your '04 Mercedes?
Customer: E55 amg
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and just determining where the fuse is popping from and took a little peek inside the fuel filters have not took them completely out as I am not a mechanic and I haven't read up on how to actually pull it out and what I can and cannot do to harm anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** the wiring at the top of the fuel pump is arcing out then that is causing the fuse to pop. This is a short and will cause a large amperage draw. This fuel pump unit will need to be replaced in order to fix it and keep the fuse from blowing anymore. If you need more help please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why would it have had a melt down is that how they usually burn out or could there be anything else at Fault. Do I need for replace both because that one burned up or just the passenger side
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

I always replace both. This problem will occur as the fuel pump begins to fail as it draws too much amperage and the wiring melts.