Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Car will not start when i turn key does not crack and no

Customer Question

car will not start when i turn key does not crack and no warning lights come on car has a new battery
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: didnt try the steering wheel use both keys with key on will not go out of park, will try the wheel
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2008 c300 4 matic
JA: Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried to look for any thing loose , it it the problem s started to right after i had the oil change so ...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: wheel will not turn with the key on the on poss
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not fixing anything major, just like info before i take it some where
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** model is known for a faulty electronic steering lock or a faulty electronic ignition switch causing this problem. I would say that a faulty steering lock is more likely to be the problem. You will need to get the car connected to a Mercedes factory level scan tool to read out the fault codes in the steering lock module and the ignition switch module. If the warning lights in the cluster do not turn on when you turn the key or if the steering wheel does not lock when you remove the key or if it won't unlock when you insert the key the problem will be the steering lock module. A new steering lock is approximately $975 installed.

Let me know if you have any questions.