Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

Transfer case issue on my E550 exactly as service builitin

Transfer case issue on my E550 exactly as service builitin states. MB will not acknowledge they should repair at their cost.
JA: What year is your E550?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your E550 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took the car to the Mercedes dealership. They acknowledged it is the transfer case problem and told me it would be $6500 to replace. I dealt with MBA USA. They said they would not repair at their cost.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This problem is in a service bulletin. And my serial numbers are in the range of the problem but my specific Vin number they say is not included. Even though the bulletin states after trying to change the fluid the part must be replaced.
JA: Just to clarify, which fluid are you talking about? And what color and consistency is it?
Customer: Transfer case fluid

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately you are in a position I have seen several customers through before.If the bulletin does not fit your VIN range then Mercedes considers it not a common issue on your model or that it had the updated parts already.They will not pay to repair it unfortunately since it is not in with the bulletin.I have seen a couple of customers go through this before and one paid for the repairs after long attempts with Mercedes customer service telling them they will not cover the costs and one ended up saying they were taking them to court (in which I dont know what happened from here as I never saw him again).

It is an unfortunate issue here that this seems to be the same issue with the same failure but Mercedes has deemed that it doesnt fit with the vehicles that have the same issue so they will not cover the costs.

The only thing you can do is see if you can speak to the area rep at the dealer to see if he/she can do anything or try and pursue it further legally or cover the costs yourself unfortunately.

I wish I had better news on this here for you but I know what you are going through as I have seen it before.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I will not pay Mercedes $6500 to fix a problem they created. The Bulletin even states as long as the car is within the date range and the fluid has been replaced, they didn't need to replace. They even had to upgrade the part. Can you give me away to find a used part that has the new upgraded part instead of the defective part. It seems impossible to find parts to get it rebuilt.Mercedes never admitted what they had to fix.

Can I get your vehicles VIN number so I can see if I can locate one for you?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I was able to find used ones. I just could verify they would not have the same problem as mine.

This company here sells new transfer cases that fit your vehicles VIN number and should be the latest updated transfer case for your model here.The old ones that had the issues were taken out of production.The cost of this one though is $3408 but is far cheaper then $6500.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I had already found that option. That would save me 2k on part cost. I still have to pay for install. But still an expensive option for what appears to be a defective part from MB. My VIN range does fall in the if the range of if the fluid replacement does not work, the transfer case must be replaced. They later Upgraded the part. If this problem had happened sooner, they would have replaced it.
I guess you have confirmed everything that I already knew.
Any information on what would need to be changed to rebuild this part? Amco is struggling trying to find a way to get it rebuilt. They do not know what Mercedes changed in the revised version of the part to ensure this does not happen again. Or any information on where to find parts to rebuild this?

I believe it is an issue with the clutch friction plates internally.I have seen other models with the same issue this transfer case has that you could access and rebuild and had to replace some of the internal clutch plates.They stick causing this issue this is why sometimes the fluid replacement works as it sometimes cleans up and re lubricates them but when the fluid trick doesnt work then it needs replaced as Mercedes usually doesnt sell rebuild kits for these.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Maybe the best solution is for me to try to find a used part. What VIN number range has the modified version on it that will work on my car?

On your model since you have the X219049 vin you want a model that is VIN number X224021 or larger like X224100 etc.Nothing below X224021.

You want the serial number on the transfer case NOT to be in between 115925 and 137342.If it is one of these then it is the bad case.

The serial number is ***** on the bottom right hand/passenger side of the transfer case.One place I use for used parts is

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I agree with your Vin number assessment. But I do not think the numbers that you saw on the service Bulletin for the transfer case itself would encompass all of the transfer case problems. Only the ones they say definitely were bad. Many of the parts, like mine, we're not in that exact part range. They upgraded the park after that. I think.

Unfortunately these are all of the numbers I see on this here myself.I would say go with the VIN and go with a late X vin number way above the X224021 like an X9.....

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hopefully this is my last question. It is easier for me to find used E350 transfer cases than the 550 transfer cases. I think they are exactly the same. Is that correct?

No,actually these are different part number transfer cases and geared a little differently.You will need to find one made for your model in order for it to work in your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
One more question. What year models E550 transfer cases are interchangeable to my 2007? 2008, 2009 etc.
That will make it a little easier for me to search for a used part.

I apologize for the delay.

Unfortunately my info isnt showing which years this will fit for sure.This is something you can usually contact a dealer with your vehicles VIN number to find out for sure.They should be able to tell you over the phone if you contact their parts department.

Thanks Pete