MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

Main battery goes dead. I bought E500 from factory in 2004.

Customer Question

Main battery goes dead. I bought E500 from factory in 2004. Has been flawless until the main battery began dying overnight. Have tried the pulling fuses one by one and each time I think it is solved, I am proved wrong. Both batteries have been replaced, more than once. I narrowed it down to the Audio Gateway, but is obviously false as it still goes dead without warning. This has been happening for over 4 years now.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: I will donate my left nut if you can solve this...
JA: What year is your E500?
Customer: I am an engineer and have been taking things including cars apart since about 14. Yes I have done pretty much everything. I am 62 and have been around the block a few times.
JA: Are you fixing your E500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: As I said earlier, I have tried the removing fuses to isolate the problem, but it is still elusive.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that I have replaced both batteries more than once...they are not the problem.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
We have you bastards now. You will be unable to get out of this one.
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

the audio gateway is the most common draw in the E class model, the quiescent draw test on a mercedes can be tedious, can you tell me how you are performing the draw test?