Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

I have a 2012 smart passion. the gear shifter will not

Customer Question

i have a 2012 smart passion. the gear shifter will not release from park sometimes. this comes with the ABS and traction control lights coming on. I took it to a shop but they said computer did not show any problems. I would imagine it is because the problem is intermitten... any ideas?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** sounds like a fault with the brake light switch. When the switch malfunctions it will not send the signal to the shifter to release the shifter. It will also cause the ABS warning lights to come on. The brake lights may still work even when the switch malfunctions.

Let me know if you have any questions. Kindly rate my service when you are done.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
brake light switch... ok thanks I will look into that..
Since the codes were cleared it did not act up again for couple days now...
Expert:  Marty replied 4 days ago.

The brake light switch can tend to be intermittent. There should have been some fault codes stored in the traction control module for the brake light switch. The next time this acts up you should check the codes to see if they indicate a bad brake light switch.

Let me know if you need anything else.