Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2012 smart passion. the gear shifter will not

i have a 2012 smart passion. the gear shifter will not release from park sometimes. this comes with the ABS and traction control lights coming on. I took it to a shop but they said computer did not show any problems. I would imagine it is because the problem is intermitten... any ideas?

Hi, my name is***** sounds like a fault with the brake light switch. When the switch malfunctions it will not send the signal to the shifter to release the shifter. It will also cause the ABS warning lights to come on. The brake lights may still work even when the switch malfunctions.

Let me know if you have any questions. Kindly rate my service when you are done.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
brake light switch... ok thanks I will look into that..
Since the codes were cleared it did not act up again for couple days now...

The brake light switch can tend to be intermittent. There should have been some fault codes stored in the traction control module for the brake light switch. The next time this acts up you should check the codes to see if they indicate a bad brake light switch.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been looking to see where the brake light switch is located and I should have another computer read the codes to confirm problem. best I have found seems the switch is located under the floor driver side. Is that right? Most cars I thought it was located under the dash. The park problem did start back after only couple days. I was reading online that the 451 models tended to be a software problem also. Would there be a specific code for that?

Can you post the vin number for me?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
vin # WMEEJ3BA3CK549079

On this model the brake light switch is located underneath the car below the pedal underneath a cover. If you need instructions for replacing the switch I can send the factory workshop instructions to your private email for a small additional service fee. I've sent an additional service offer with this reply. You will need to accept the offer and reply back with your email address. Normally you will get a fault code stored for a fault with the brake light switch.