Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

My Star Diagnostic system refuses to connect, as of

Hello, My Star Diagnostic system refuses to connect, as of yesterday. I have rebooted, tried different Cat 5 cables, no luck. Tried it on 3 different Benzes, ranging from 2000 to 2009. Something may have gotten corrupted, don't know. Keeps saying Multiplexer not comunicating, contact user help desk, or something like that. A tip is sure to follow if you can help me get it working.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you had updated the software in the SDS it is possible the software install did not complete or complete properly and caused this issue here.If this has not been checked this should be done to see if this is a software issue here.If this is or was done and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your response. I have not done any updates to this scanner program. It has been working flawlessly up till this weekend, and I wouldn't want to mess with it when its working fine. Unless it updated automatically, that I have no way of knowing. Please advise.

The most common cause is the multi plexer assembly itself.It fails internally and causes no communication issues that you see here.The help desk will usually want you to replace it.Usually if the SDS fires up and operates but the issue is no communication with the multi plex and you have tried a different cable I suspect this is the common fault of the multi plex unit itself.

Is this the wireless multi plex unit?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No, this one is wired, well I use it as a wired unit anyway. Might be wireless.

O.k.,there were some issues with the wireless sds multiplex units not communicating but usually connecting the cable corrected this issue here.Since yours is wired and you have tried a new cable for it and the sds does operate this does sound like the multi plex itself is at fault internally.I have had to send for a replacement to correct this here a couple of times before.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Im thinking there must be a way to either re-set, or unlock my existing. But I cant seem to find this info. There are services to get your existing one repaired on ebay, for about 3hundred, would you trust this? And if you dont mind my asking, where are you getting yours? I have seen reviews of people buying junk off ebay with very little recourse. Please advise.

Unfortunately I had obtained mine through Mercedes when at a dealer working with them.I dont know if you can trust a repair unless they guarantee it or warranty the work,if they do then I would trust it.In some cases components like this off of Ebay will be o.k. and in other cases you may get something that may not work.Look to see if they are a trusted seller with good reviews as if they do then usually your o.k.

Thanks Pete