Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

I put key in and turn it. Nothing. Lights on dash come on

Customer Question

I put key in and turn it. Nothing. Lights on dash come on but won't start
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Where are fuses
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2009 c300
JA: Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It also did it last night. Online said maybe steeling wasn't locked. After 45 min it started
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I turned steering and made sure it is locked
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 6 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

i know what can be the issue with the car , it is not good news., it appears that everytime i answer one of these questions i am met with negativity even though the answer is correct, so please bear in mind that just because its not a easy pill to swallow , that does not mean that the answer i provided you with is wrong.

there are 3 issues that cause your symptoms. and all 3 need to be diagnosed at a dealer.

1. failed ignition key (if you have more than one key try both if both do not work then its not a key issue)
  2. electronic ignition switch.
  3. electronic steering column lock

the tech needs to use the mercedes scan tool to run through the tests for the switch and lock and determine which one is the issue, these are both very problematic and can actually fail together in rare instances. so you need to have the car towed to a dealer to have the switch and lock inspected. i hope this helps, Lou P.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.