Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I believe the ELS has gone bad, 2011 c300, yes, replaced key

Customer Question

I believe the ELS has gone bad
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2011 c300
JA: Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, replaced key in key fob, moved the steering column up and down, this from watching YouTube videos. I have no idea
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: yes, that is the first thing i did. after replacing fob battery, my car did start and I had no problems for aprox 3 weeks. then yesterday same problem. the "whirring" in the steering column does not engage and message is to remove my key.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Please tell me how this works...when connected, will I be charged. i am not sure of course who this is
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

there are a lot of issues with both the steering column lock and the ignition switch in these models. usually you can tell what is causing the issue depending on if the column does not does not lock/unlock. either way the work can only be done at a dealer. and they need all the car keys to check the function of the system. Lou P.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am guessing that it would be the ELS if the column does not lock or unlock?

yes most likely, the mercedes scanner runs a series of tests with the keys and switch and lock. that is the only way to confirm failure. this system was not the best . still a pain to this day no matter how many years experience you have lol.