Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I got a 2006 ml350 the steering wheel is hard to turn even

Customer Question

I got a 2006 ml350 the steering wheel is hard to turn even when the car is off the ground the pump makes it alittle softer when the car is on I replace the pump and checked the hose
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- if the power steering pump & lines are good , you need to look into the steering gear

2- what is the mileage on it

3- have you checked the drive belt ,did it come off the pulley

4- did you loose steering suddenly or gradually , any power steering leaks

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think it might be some thing with the abs cuz one day I was driving it and it had a abs code and I cleared it and the steering got soft the code I get now is 5100 and 7271

hey

since you mentioned ABS light then you need a steering angle calibration , you will need a Star Mercedes scanner to do that ,

or the steering angle sensor needs replacement , a capable scanner can test the sensor and calibrated if it needs it

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tryed the steering angle sensor calibration with the snap on tool
What also happens is when the car is off the ground and I turn it is hard to turn the wheel
Car on car of the ground wheel is soft perfect like it need to feel that's what made me replace the pump

what is the mileage ?

1-The U - Joint on the steering column shaft is wore out and caused the first pump failure,so inspect there

and that will cause the pump failure , now if the U- joint is good after inspection , then go the Rack, but most of the time it is the U-joint

2- The steering grack

Please let me know if that works for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Miles 131394

ok , check u joint & let me know

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician