Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Have an 01 s430. Suspension completely deflated. Fuse and

Customer Question

Have an 01 s430. Suspension completely deflated. Fuse and relay are both good. No voltage at fuse. Pump runs when given voltage.
has following codes that return immediately following being cleared.
c1320, c1321, c1322, c1323, c1324, c1325, c1326, c1227, c1333, c1334, c1335, c1336, c1337, c1338, c1517.001
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.

what kind of scanner are you using?

i think we need to access the control unit, there may be wiring damage. all of these codes have nothing in common other then the control unit and the connections, the module is in the drivers side engine bay fuse box. lets access the connector and check the module for water or corrosion. see if the fuse box cover lid was on correctly or not.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm using the Matco Maximus 2.0 (Re-branded Launch)I have pulled the connectors at the module and they were all clean. No water to be found. Lid seems to have been on correctly when I received the car.

ok, the issue i have is that unless one of the 2 fuses are blown, we should not have all these errors. ill get you the fuse locations. there is 1 fuse in each of the fuse boxes in the engine bay.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also tested the terminals in the fuse box where the Airmatic relay sits.Here's what I'm getting at each terminal with the car running.30 - 14.0 volts85 - Ground86 - 9.0 Volts87 - Nothing (feed to compressor)

fuse 9 in left fuse box and fuse 46 in right fuse box.

the compressor relay will not be actuated when a code is stored for any reason.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Fuse 9 is good. However no voltage on either side.Not sure which fuse is 46. My fuse diagram is odd. Doesn't show a 46. It jumps from 45 to 36 to 47. I checked the fuse in the 36 location assuming it was a misprint. It checks good.

ok let me check

fuse 9 is battery power so there is no reason you should not have voltage.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, Sorry, fuse 9 tests good (although there is a 15 amp in there and my diagram says 30 amp) and has voltage.It was fuse 32 that has no voltage in the other fuse box.

OK, i sent you a link to the layout of the fuse box

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am showing battery voltage on both sides of fuse 46.

ok...........

let me think on this a minute, can you send me screen shots of the codes>

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay. Yeah, it a bit of a cluster. It was at another shop for over a year with this and a charging issue. I have fixed the charging issue but the suspension has me stumped. I don't get a lot of Mercedes here.I'll get you some screen shots. May take a bit as I've never tried to upload here before.

if anything we can do a email swap .

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here are the screen captures on those codes.

ok thanks, ***** ***** go over the diagram again,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you sir.

I may have some good info i am just searching for hard evidence.

ok here is my thought, all the codeS point to activation circuits, which means that they may all share the same power and ground internally so if we have a wire shorted it may cause fault codes for everything. i know this is the case for level sensors but i cant find documentation for the valves. so what we need to do which may be the easiest, is start unplugging the connections to the shocks, we may be able to take a huge chunk out of time by unpluggin just one of the connectors off the module. it will be the connector with the least amount of wires.

then erase codes and run them again and let me know what codes come up. well the connector will at least house the rear shock valves, so that will save time for unplugging those.

you should pick up two codes , for the b24/6 and b22/3 sensors. then we can attack the front.

the codes are for the following that you have currently so we can put this into perspective

all 4 shock dampening valves (one on each shock)

all the valves in the airmatic solenoid valve block mounted to the top of the compressor bracket

and the pressure valve mounted to the compressor itself, so we are looking for wire damage that may be shorting the circuits.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, Let me give that a try.

ok

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay. With the small connector unplugged from the module, I can not communicate with the scanner.

i didnt say small connector, let me rephrase

there are 3 connections, the little middle one is the data bus and needs to stay connected, you need to unplug one of the bigger connectors that have the least a mount of wires in it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is the one I unplugged. The one closest to the firewall. It's about half the size of the other.I assumed you didn't mean the data wires.

oh ok , i guess the scanner you are using only communicates through the obd port. well that wont help us then.

and i dont know how much you do or do not know about mercedes or the system so please dont get offended.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah. Obd port only.Not offended at all.I'm pretty new to these systems. Not a lot of Mercedes around here.

what i meant was that , the mercedes scanner can connect through the data bus or the obd , both ways,

so now what we need to do is to start unplugging items.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Start with the struts themselves? Do each one individually, then clear codes?

yes, on each strut is a fat solenoid near the bottom, follow the wiring and unplug the wire. then recheck the codes. see if unplugging a certain one will allow all codes to be erased except for the one that is currently unplugged.

it may be easier to start at the air compressor valve block. passenger side under bumper .

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
okay, I will do that. May not happen til tomorrow afternoon now. My shop is full of cars at the moment waiting for parts.

"WAITER"

lol

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Indeed. Thank you for all the help today. I will make sure to rate you when we are all done with the conversation.

no worries, i appreciate it, lets get this thing fixed! :)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Lou.Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I haven't had a chance to work on the Mercedes. Been very busy at work.