Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

THINKING OF BUYING A 1984 380 SL, HES A FRIEND AND LETTING

Customer Question

THINKING OF BUYING A 1984 380 SL
JA: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: HES A FRIEND AND LETTING ME DRIVE IT LAST FEW DAYS. HE DID TIMING CHAIN ALREADY. IT NEEDS MUFFLER..
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: AC DOESNT BLOW COLD AND DASH LIGHTS DONT WORK AND ITS IDLES AWFUL ROUGH BUT RUNS GOOD. AFTER A LONG DRIVE AND I TURN OFF AND GO INTO A STORE I COME OUT I HAVE TO PUMP GAS TO GET IT TO START
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 209 ON GAUGE BUT HE SAYS ENGINE WAS REBUILT 85K AGO ALSO SPEEDOMETER WORKS BUT NOT MILEAGE
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** sounds like there may be some problems with fuel injection system. Fuel injection repairs on the old SL's can be very expensive. If you buy the car you should be prepared to spend some money getting it running right. You could easily spend $1000 on fuel injection work. Common problems are a bad fuel distributor, warm up regulator and fuel accumulator. The dash light problem is probably a bad rheostat. The rheostat can be bypassed by removing the instrument cluster and soldering a wire across the two contacts of the rheostat. The odometer problem is going to be stripped gears in the speedometer head. Most speedometer shops will repair the speedometer for around $175 if you bring them the speedometer. The a/c problem could be anything from low refrigerant due to a leak in the system to a faulty compressor. You will need to get the system recharged and tested. If you buy the car I would not pay more than about $3000 for the car.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my service.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Hi, just following up with you on this question. Do you need further assistance?