Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

2005 Mercedes E320 CDI (ESP Malfunction Code)...Car wont

Customer Question

2005 Mercedes E320 CDI (ESP Malfunction Code)...Car wont turn over to start...Installed New Main Battery and New Auxillary Battery to resolve any low voltage issue.
JA: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?
Customer: 2 New Batteries
JA: Are you fixing your E320 Cdi yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Mercedes Mobile Mechanic...Installed New Main Battery 3 days ago...problem occurred again...is it The Battery Voltage Control Unit in Trunk?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it...thanks.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

It is possible that this is an issue with the battery control module in the trunk as this can fail causing this issue here but it is also possible that there is a parasitic drain/draw on your battery due to one or more electronics failing/acting up in your model here.If you have not had a parasitic drain test done this needs done to see if this is the cause here for this fault as well as it will help in locating which electronic in your vehicle is draining down the battery needing replaced.

There are several components that can cause this and this is why this test is done to pinpoint which is the cause.I have seen the radio,stuck on relays,stuck on seat switches and lights cause this issue most commonly as well as internal seat control module failures and instrument cluster failures.If you want the procedure on how I do this let me know but it does require a multi meter to do this testing and the complete vehicle wiring diagrams to help locate the fault.

I would have the battery control module and the parasitic drain test done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete