Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2006 E350 and the belt keeps ripping. I have

Customer Question

I have a 2006 E350 and the belt keeps ripping. I have replaced both idler pulleys and the tensioner as well. The belt was fine for the entire summer because I remember putting it at the beginning of the summer. What else should I look for ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** the belt getting damaged on the inside or the outside edge?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
well i wish i knew but the belt is shredded.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Ok, the only way the belt is going to shred apart is if it is getting cut by one of the pulleys. You need to inspect all of the pulleys on the inner and outer edges to see if there is damage to the edge of the pulley that would cut the belt. Once the belt starts to fray apart it continues until it eventually shreds. Run your hand around every pulley to check for damage. It only takes a little ding in a pulley to cut the belt as it rotates past. The pulleys should be perfectly smooth all the way around and on the surface where the belt rides. Belt alignment should also be checked but it is unlikely that anything is out of alignment unless the car has been in an accident or work was done on one of the rotating components and it was not installed properly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i will check the car out when i get home later on
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Ok, let me know if you need anything else.