Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2010 glk that won't crank won't start. It is my

Customer Question

I have a 2010 glk that won't crank won't start. It is my daughters car and she is at college 150 miles away...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Had someone come and try to start using a starter pack but that didn't work. He said the battery appeared to be ok. The message comes up on screen to "take key out of ignition".
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But when you turn the key to start it does nothing.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am assuming it could be the EIS but hoping not. How do you test for that?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How expensive of a fix is that if it is the EIS?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Turn engine off and remove the key. Disconnect both battery cables (positive and negative) and clamp or use a jumper wire to hold them together, turn key to on position and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then reconnect one at a time, positive first then negative. This should reset the system.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

There is a service bulletin out for this problem and it does involve replacing the electron ignition switch, this would need to be towed to the dealer for repair as they will need to reprogram with the scan tool.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I am unable to get cost info at this time as our dealer parts department is closed, you can call the parts department at the dealer and ask for a parts price. The labor should not be more than a couple hours to replace.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When you say to use a clamp or jumper wire to hold them together, can you explain that a little more?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

You want to ground the positive cable, this can be done by holding the two cables together. There are capacitors in vehicles that store power even when the battery is disconnected. By grounding you are discharging the capacitors which clears the memory from various modules.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. That's a new one for me but I'll try that. If that doesn't work then is it right to assume it's probably the eis?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it is a common problem. The battery reset is always worth a try because it does not cost anything.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is the EIS a dealer only thing or is there another, cheaper way to fix it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When reconnecting the battery should the key be in or out of the ignition?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Key out. Dealer only as the keys need to be programmed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do just getting this straight. Key is in when cables are held together but key is out when reconnecting the battery - positive side first, right ? Does the hard rest erase the key codes necessary to start the car? You mentioned something about this in your last answer. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Reset ^
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

No this will not reset the key codes to start the car, only replacing the EIS will cause this and need the key codes programmed

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes positive side first.