Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 2003 E55 AMG and Im having problems with Airmatic.

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2003 E55 AMG and Im having problems with Airmatic.
Left rear air strut is lowering in sport mode or when the vehicle lowers at 70mph. Ive checked for leaks, rear level sensor, compressor and valve. Ive left the car 5 days parked and it never lowered. I drove it in the city below 55mph . It was perfect. As soon as I reach 70mph it lowers and I heard its supposed to lower a bit bit left rear doest know when to stop.Only code was a rear left speed sensor. I replaced it and sometimes it throws a code saying strut implausible. And it also show low auxillary battery voltage. Please Help lol
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

may i have your vin and build date on the drivers door jamb sticker please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello!
WDBUF76J03A274630
March 2003

Ok thanks. So sorry for the delay I got pulled away today. I will be online in the am and report back some info.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok

ok so the car normally lowers at speeds above 55mph for aerodynamics. its possible that the bags are leaking but the leak does not present itself until the bellows is moved out of its normal position. do you have access to a star diagnostic scanner?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I mean 55
I do have a scanner
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've left the car in the lower mode for a few days and it stayed up.

well when you say lowered mode do you mean you did not press the switch to raise it? cause the car actually gets lower at highway speeds.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I meant sports 2 mode for the suspension setting
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It all started after I picked it up from the Mercedes dealership. They replaced the fuel tank and fuel pump. It was leaking gasoline. I took it back and of course they said it wasn't on them.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok so the sports button on the dash just changes the shock dampening , if you had the fuel pump and tank changed they would have had to lower the rear end and air bags to access the fuel tank. its possible that when the car raised in the air that it revealed a weak spot in the air bags. this is known to happen so it is their fault but not all in the same. if the car was never raised the issue would have not presented itself yet raising the car does not hurt the bags if that makes sense. i can confidently say that despite the odd symptoms you have the issue is most likely a failed air bag.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. the only code I got was "shock implausible" would that also indicate bad air bag?

well, i would need the code,. as you can have a faulty shock due to the solenoid valve on the side of it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Code 5507

ok let me see what i can find.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a way to check the solenoid valve? Is that the one on top of the air compressor?

no on the shock, its a valve that limits the dampening

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will that cause the air bag to lower?

no, it will not, but the code you have is just for lowered suspension, it really doesnt point to a failed part, there is a bulletin though. here it is.

are you positive that the car lowers on one side axle only? also does it ever come back up on its own?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sir 100% sure. Yes when i press the button to raise it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh yes it does come up on its own. I park it , turn it off , then turn it on,it goes up
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
your proposal is air bag?

yes sir, my proposal is airbag as if it was a line the shock would never air up, same if it was a compressor or valve block. Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again , Lou P.