sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Im working on a 1995 MERCEDEZ s420. THE ARMATURE HAS COME

Customer Question

im working on a 1995 MERCEDEZ s420. THE ARMATURE HAS COME DISCONNECTED ON THE INSIDE. Im unable to open the door so im unable to remove the door panel. I was able to pull the panel out far enough to barely squeeze my hand in enough to see what i could feel. I managed to get a hold on the armature that goes to the door latch. It feels still connected to the door latch and springs back when I pull it. However the door still wont open. I can feel the cable that goes to the door lock but trying to pull it accomplishes nothing. i have manually pulled the door lock up and down with no results. I believe the actuator has come completely disconnected. How can I get the door opened to fix it? the automatic door lock doesnt seem to do anything to it however the window still goes up and down. Can I unlock the latch by removing the outside door handle? If so. how do I remove it without being able to open the door?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

It sounds as if you're pulling the linkage from the inside handle to the latch and the door will not open. If that's the case and nothing foreign had been closed in the door and there were no adjustment issues then the latch itself has almost surely failed and will need to be replaced. The door panel is going to need to come off to be able to access the latch and components. With the panel off you can check the linkage to make sure it's intact and make sure nothing foreign has made it's way to the latch from the inside. If there are no issues found and moving the linkage at the latch directly won't allow it to open then the latch will need to be broken/cut/dismantled until the pawl can be reached to move it manually and open the door, then the latch can be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, Im back to the Mercedez. Its Monday afternoon. I would greatly appreciate some advice as to how Im supposed to get the panel off without being able to open the door. I maybe missing something or I didnt correctly understand your response. I have tried to. move the door panel and have had very little success with the door closed the way it is.I can barely put my hand inside where the door handle to the door is so some advice as to how to put the pad on the way without causing permanent damage would be like I said appreciated.

In some cases the door panel does have to be sacrificed to get it off. I don't believe you'll be able to get the rear of the panel completely off due to the screws in the door jamb, but the screws in the arm rest area need to be removed and the work your way around the panel popping the clips loose to separate it from the door.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok sounds good-I'll try to see if i can work the panel somewhat loose. BUT Im curious about the answer to the question i asked concerning me trying to remove the outside door handle and try to release the door latch from there? Is it possible? It actaully seems that it'd be easier, quicker, and possibly even cheaper than going at it from the inside.(mind you this is just to get the door opened) . T hank you, Farrel

The retainer screw for the outside handle can only be accessed with the door open. The only real possibility will be to go in through the door panel.