MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

I have a 2007 E350 with 115K miles. While driving on a local

Customer Question

Hello Paul,
I have a 2007 E350 with 115K miles. While driving on a local road after a stop light the car would not go above 20 mph, was getting jerky, the engine rpm would go up to between 3500~4000 and the check engine light came on. It happened right across from a MB dealer and I drove in there.
MB Service got a code of 0893 and they said it pointed to low transmission fluid. They performed transmission service for $550 but the problem didn't get fixed. Dealer then suggested replacing the whole transmission and Torque converter new for around $6000.
I asked for cheaper options and was told that they only work with new MB parts. I drove it home cautiously at 20 mph.
The engine light came on again and had a mechncaic in the area scan the code - 2783 - friction power of torque converter lockup switch is too high.
What do you recommend as my options now?
If I have to replace transmission, do I have cheaper options such as rebuilt, refurbished, 3rd party OEM transmission etc.. that would not cost me $6k?
I had the transmission flushed 2 years back at 88k miles. Is there a known problem with Mercedes E350?
I called Mercedes customer center in NJ but was told I was out of warranty and they couldn't help me.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 29 days ago.

i dont think that you need to replace the transmission as a whole it sounds like the torque converter is bad as far as replacement goes i would order rebuilt parts they come with a warranty and or just as good as new parts and would save you alot of money