MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

My fiance has 06 sl500, few days ago she got car washed and

Customer Question

My fiance has 06 sl500, few days ago she got car washed and then car died in street with error codes ABS, BRAKE PADS AND low voltage, car would not start after that, came back next day and car started but then died, but now only showing error code visit workshop and car too low & low voltage. I took starting battery from hood and that checked out fine and car will not start anymore, nothing when i turn key, doesn't engage at all.
Last thing is that she has a alcohol breath analyzer on car as well. Could brake pads or ABS error cause car not to start or maybe breathalyzer running battery down? Please helo
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. when you try to start it does the security light go out?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What security light

there should be a red security light or key symbol or the word "security" on your instrument panel

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know, car is in side of street and I'll be going back to it in a few hours. If the starting battery tested fine than other battery has to be the one that is bad, right? And where is other battery, in the trunk?
Is it possible that if battery gets replaced or charged that most of these errors will go away, the low voltage and car is too low? I realize brake pads will have to be replaced, but I'm just trying to get car started to bring home and replace brake pads. Lastly, the thing that really throws the wrench in this is her breathalyzer, wondering if that might be causing car to not possibly start or running battery low

The battery in the trunk is not a conventional lead acid battery. It is an "Absorbent Glass Mat" battery that may not be available at a typical auto parts store. if you replace it then it probaly will reset everything. as far as the breathalyzer when she blows in it it wont start?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well that sucks, so what are my options, as to fixing the low voltage? Last night when i had starting battery checked, O'Reilly said that they had battery, something glass for $175

have also read in various places that Mercedes electronics are some of the most sensitive of any of the automakers. For that reason, I have gathered that it is not a good idea to replace these batteries with anything but OEM. I can't remember the figures exactly, but I think OEM batteries are 100AH or maybe 120AH, and most aftermarket are lower (please research as it has been a long time since I gathered this info, and I can't remember the exact figures). For this reason, people who have replaced their batteries with Wal-Mart or AutoZone batteries (rated at different AH) may find slight glitches in some of the electrical equipment such as alarm issues, cluster lights coming on, etc. This is an idea I am unwilling to entertain. I will only install OEM. Sure they are marked up in price, and higher than most others, but they are cheap insurance in the event that some electrical component fails.

checking in to see how its going