FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Battery died. Now I went for an emmissions test and they

Customer Question

Battery died. Now I went for an emmissions test and they wouldn't do the test b/c the sensory electronics wouldn't work.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: The battery is now new. The car runs but the driver's side window should go down slightly when the door opens. Then the widow should tighten up when the door closes...but that is not responding. How do I get that to work properly?
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1996 SL 500
JA: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far I drove it around for an hour hoping it would reset the computer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I checked all the fuses and replaced the popped one.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 29 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** the battery was replaced then the computer needs to reset all of its modules. This usually takes about 500 miles and various driving. You need to drive on the highway, around town, in stop and go, and you need to turn the vehicle off and back on several times in between. That will get it reset. As for the window you need to complete this driving first as you may need to disconnect the battery.