sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a vibration which seems to be coming from the right

Customer Question

I have a vibration which seems to be coming from the right rear when i first drive me 2001 Mercedes E430. Once the car comes up to temperature the vibration goes away. It tends to happen after the car sits for a period of time. I had the transfer case flushed and filled with new fluid. Could it be the rear differential?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I doubt the problem is in the rear differential, especially if there is no noise. If it comes from the right rear then I expect that tire is flat spotting. When a vehicle sits for an extended time it will cause the tires to develop a flat spot which has to work out as the vehicle is driven and tires warm up.

If you've pinpointed it to a corner of the car you can try rotating the tires and see if the problem moves. If so then you know for sure it's a tire issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not the tires!! They are brand new! May not necessarily be the right rear but it is a vibration under the rear portion of passenger compartment

The age of the tires isn't relevant.

You said the problem happens after the vehicle sits for a length of time. CAn you elaborate on that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When the car sits for a period of time there is a noticeable vibration in the drive train that disappears once the vehicle comes up to temperature.

What is the period of time?