Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

I was trying to reset the headrest and i accidentally locked

Customer Question

I was trying to reset the headrest and i accidentally locked it before I could reset it.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 150000. First time after a minor traffic accident.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2011 E350 4 door sedan base model
JA: What year is your Sedan?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you fixing your Sedan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. No damage but the headrests activated. I reset the driver side
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

This the procedure to fix it

They have a TSB on this issue

I have sent you diagrams to help repairing it

Head restraint of front seat jams in lowest position Topic number LI91.16-P-062217 Version 1 Design group 91.16 Head restraints Date 11-11-2015 Validity Only with manual head restraint adjustment, not valid for SA code: 275, 242, 241, 222, 221, P65 Reason for change Complaint: The head restraint of the front seat jams in the lowest position and can no longer be adjusted vertically. Cause: If the head restraints on the front seats can no longer be adjusted vertically, this is usually because they have been knocked downwards with the adjustment button pressed. The head restraint locks in the notch/release lock of the head restraint bar, which then prevents any adjustment. Remedy: Follow the steps below: 1. Fabricate a tool (steel rule 0.5mm thick) to release the head restraint and deburr it (Pic1). 2. Cover the head restraint sleeve with a cloth to prevent damage (Pic2). 3. Insert the fabricated tool into the side of the head restraint guide with the adjustment button from behind (Pic2). 4. The head restraint is released by pressing the tool to the left while simultaneously lifting the head restraint (Pic3).

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The headrests have been activated from a minor accident and i tried to reset the passenger side. I accidentally closed the lock before i closed the headrest. The lock is closed but the headrest is still open.

oh ok i see , be honest i never ran into this before .

i m not sure on this issue , so I will open up the question for another expert to help on it ,so you get the correct info on it

good luck

Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 month ago.

Hello, different tech here, i have ran into this a few times, its hard to explain, you need to access the latch, on the latch is a small release tab that the solenoid acts against to pop the latch, you need to access the lever and pop it while also trying to release the latch with a small pin or rod, i do not have pictures of this procedure, all i can do is explain what i have stated. i think if we had a mercedes scan tool we can actually activate the headrest as well to pop it, or jump power to the solenoid to pop it as well if you want to try that. let me know, Lou P.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where is the latch located? Is it inside the headrest?

correct its inside the headrest, the part that is attached to the chrome bars that slide into the backrest, NOT the headrest part that pops out against your head.

i hope i explained that correctly.

its one of those things that are not easy until you do it , then it makes total sense haha.

here is somehwhat of a picture, i have the wiring colors if you want to jump the solenoid and see if the latch releases.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do I jump the solenoid?

i actually think this will be super easy, what we need are 2 wires about a foot long a piece.

we will unplug the connection to the solenoid, insert a wire from the connection to the other connection so we have the power, then we will insert our wire into the other open terminal and touch it to ground (bare metal on the car) and the solenoid should open.