MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

I can start the car if the battery charger is connected to

Customer Question

I can start the car if the battery charger is connected to the battery and not plugged into an outlet. Once I disconnect the battery charger from the battery the car stalls.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

Hello, are you saying the car will start with charger hooked up but NOT charging?also, what led up tot he problem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The car did not start, so we thought it was the ignition control module. So I purchased another one and installed it. The battery was dead. So I charged the battery with the battery charger. After a few hours I removed the battery charger and tried to start it and it didn't have enough charge to turn the engine over. then I reconnected the battery charger and charged for 6 hours. I then unplugged the battery charger but didn't disconnect it from the battery. And the car started. I then disconnected the battery charger from the battery and the car stalled. I then tried to start the car but it would not start I could hear the starter run. So I then reconnected the battery charger without plugging it in. And the car started.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

good information but I am not sure on this one, I will opt out and open the post to the other experts

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** are you? your description of the problem sounds like have a loose battery terminal.try grabbing and twisting battery terminals to inspect for looseness. if so Clean and tight. If battery goes dead it may be due for change( if older than 6 years. Also check charging system With engine running, disconnect battery negative terminal. If engine stalls, then you will need to replace Alternator.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was told never to remove the battery terminals as it would possible short out ECU. Also the battery is less than 1 year old. The cables are also tight on the terminal