Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

2006 sl 500 Front engine starter battery went bad, Changed

Customer Question

2006 sl 500 Front engine starter battery went bad, Changed out battery and the battery light and message came on in instrument panel. Disconnected both batteries waited 30 minutes hooked up eng compartment battery first then trunk battery ,light still on. Both batteries fully charged. Do I need to have stars cancel light?
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: batteries yes alternator yes. Took to auto parts store they tested.
JA: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fixing myself, Checked fuses in trunk and eng compartment.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Battery in eng compartment was tested due to slow start and found to be defective that is why it was replaced. No lights were on in dash before I changed the battery.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

on the 2006 sl500 , you will need the star system or equivalent to clear & register new battery.

as long no fuse were blown and you said you checked .

unfortunately the auto start scanner is limited only can do engine codes and maybe abs codes, but want be able to communicate with your battery module .

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician