Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

P0718 and P0173 codes. Car sluggish from a stop position. Is

Customer Question

P0718 and P0173 codes. Car sluggish from a stop position. Is there a fix for these? for a 2007 C230.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: How do you reset them? Tried to erase but they stay.
JA: Are you fixing your C230 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixed a MAF code problem, but I havent done/can't do anything with the tranny problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a fix recommended ?by MB
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok your issue will be one of the following

1. transmission control unit
  2. transmission control unit with valve body
  3. software update

the only way to know what the fix is , is to have the mercedes scan tool hooked up to "process" the fault code, the software determines the cars issue and willl describe the fix, usually its a failed speed sensor that is part of the plate that is the trans module on the top of the valve body. that is the most common, in rare instances its software and in even rarer its the whole valve body and control unit .

here is a copy of the bulletin for P0718

ok as for the p0173 the most common cause is a clogged air filter or a loose air filter housing to mass air flow sensor seal this engine has a very very good mass air flow sensor that never fails, or rarely . so its always an outside influence that causes fuel trim codes. hope this helps. Lou P

Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again , Lou P.

did you have any questions about the info i had posted?