Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

I have an '09 SL 63 AMG. The instrument cluster shows a

Customer Question

I have an '09 SL 63 AMG. The instrument cluster shows a light with the "trunk open" but the trunk is closed completely. I took it to the dealer and it worked fine, but now that I am home it is once again non-functional. Help!
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: On the larger analog tachometer it shows the profile of the vehicle with the rear decklid open...
JA: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not necessarily trying to fix it, just wondering if there is something that I am doing wrong or can be done that will allow for the retractable roof to open and close if the warning light persists..
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's probably about it. When I was at the dealer we both sat in the car and the warning light didn't come on and the top went up and down without issue...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am a professional here at JustAnswer, I am looking over your info now and will reply back soon with some info.

ok so there are a few common issues that can cause this. First is , if the warning is on right at this moment then we are in luck. Is the trunk fully flush with the rear fenders ? Or can you push it closed harder ? Also if you turn on your lights do the license plate lights come on ?

The common failures are the following

• Trunk latch assembly
  • wiring in the trunk hinge area
  • vacuum pod in trunk latch

If we could try a few things we could narrow down the issue. Let me know what you want to do. The issue is easy to diagnose and fix. Lou P.

I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may receive my credit for assisting you. Thank you.