Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

Yellow abs brake lite ok won't come out of park, Abs yellow

Customer Question

Yellow abs brake lite ok won't come out of park
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Abs yellow lite
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 03 s430
JA: Are you fixing your S430 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Alternator output fluid level
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This indicates that the anti lock brake computer has detected a fault code.What has to be done from here is to have a scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can read the anti lock brake computer to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.

What I have seen cause this fault here is a fault with the shifter itself as it houses the electronics to allow shifting in and out of park and can cause a signal error causing the anti lock light to come on or an issue with the brake switch itself not sending the correct signal.

The codes do need to be read out/checked to help locate which component is at fault here and this will require a compatible scan tool to check the codes to locate this issue.Most of the time this is a shop or dealer scan tool as this is usually a higher dollar scan tool needed but these are the most common that can usually cause this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's stuck in park
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,the electronic shifter is most common for this issue here.The electronics fail in this shifter and cause this issue with the shifter itself needing replaced.Also the brake switch can cause this here as well.You can usually tell it is the brake switch at fault if when you press on the brake you have no brake lights with the key on.If you do have brake lights then the brake switch is o.k. and the fault is with the shifter itself with it needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete