MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

Hard top wont go down. Windows go down but thats it. Ive

Customer Question

hard top wont go down. Windows go down but thats it. Ive checked everything, fluid level is fine. Im at a loss
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: slk 230 kompressor 2003
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive tested the black fuse thing that unplugs and thats fine. Ive check the fluid, thats it. The luggage cover is securely in place etc.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

couple of questions

• does the pump come on and buzz?
  • how long has it been since the top last worked?
  • does the red light of the roof switch flash at you when you are trying to operate the roof?
  • do any parts of the roof unlatch? trunk?roof?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello,The red lights don't flash. The red light turns on like normal when you try to put top down. It makes a sound and also the two small windows in back come down as well as driver and passenger side windows. The trunk doesn't unlatch the top sounds like it's trying to unlock and come down but it doesn't move. The top literally worked last week just fine.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't see any leaks when I remove paneling to check fluid level on pump. The fluid is alittle below the arrows so I'm assuming it's got enough in it. The pump sits at an angle and I have no idea how to get in there to look at any of tn components. I cleaned the trunk out and redid the luggage cover, still

ok thanks, ***** ***** see what we can do to assist the top, so the trunk doesnt unlatch let me see if we can unlatch it and then activate the switch again to see . what i do in the shop is try to influence the top to work at every stage that will tell us where the issue is. let me check the info, there should be 2 small cables in the trunk to pull to release the trunk,. ill check.

did you get the top working? i noticed that my last message did not post, so sorry about that, are you still needing help?