gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2006 ml350 that I just bought used. The only

Customer Question

I have a 2006 ml350 that I just bought used. The only problem was a mild knocking noise under The driver side that his mechanic said was probably the shocks. However The AC compressor burnt out after 2 weeks of owning and now there's a really bad power steering fluid leak Plus my secondary air pump that connects to cadalic converter wouldn't turn off so I disconnected the power source and took out that fuse.its Benin parked since that. Is it safe to drive with this air pump disconnected for a few days or to shop? I don't believe the pump rotor burnt out but don't know how to test either. My mechanic friend advised checking the battery and said that could be the cause of a lot of problems and glitching the computer. I don't believe that would cause knocking or leaks though.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 2 months ago.

The secondary air pump only exists to get the catalyst up to operating temp as quickly as possible. You'll get a check engine light, but no damage. When does the knocking occur, just when the engine is running, or only when car is moving, only in a certain gear, etc? Over bumps? Are you sure the knock and leak are not a damaged power steering rack? Take a look at the accordion boots to see if they are leaking fluid, in that case you need a new rack.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The knock occurs when driving especially on bumpier surfaces. I drove it around the block with the pump disconnected and fuse taken out and it ran no problem fine even quieter than before, it always seemed a little loud to me like the RPms were too high. And as for a ordain boots can you send pics or diagram to help because I'm unfamiliar with. But a weird smell of something plastic or chemicals burning started so I parked it again and looked for anything smoking but found nothing. When the pump originally started malfunctioning it wouldn't turn off no matter what and after about 20 minutes of it going without keys in or car on it was smelled like it was almost burning, kinda dried out smell, and so hot that it melted through the rubber gloves I put on to disconnect the electric prong or connector part. That connector is exposed and loose in there so don't know if that could be it touching something?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It says your an expert in vw, my car is Mercedes Benz so I'm wandering why this site linked you up to answer my questions. What experience do you have with Benz,s?

Youre going to need some way of getting underneath to see where the leak is coming from, and to feel for any looseness. Best if it were on a hoist, so the wheels would be hanging free and could be checked for suspension looseness.

I've worked for VW dealers for 15 years, but as a German car tech we work on a lot of different things, as they come in as used cars. I've even had the misfortune of working on American cars!