Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have a Mercedes 2002 SLK about three months ago it would

Customer Question

I have a Mercedes 2002 SLK about three months ago it would not crank I remove the battery waited 30 minutes in a cranked up this will happen maybe once every three weeks this time it did not crank again I cannot get my scanner to recognize the car I have a new battery from a month ago
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Which view what I need to check
JA: What is the model of your '02 Mercedes?
Customer: 2002 SLK 320
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I thought it may be the starter so I tried to tap it I check the relay switch all the wires look good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I saw someone with a similar problem and they thought it may be Engine control module or Ciycle module
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

you welcome

have you checked the battery cables , loose corrode ?

are you getting 14 plus volt on battery after you get it running at battery with all loads on ,ac ,headlight,flasher radio etc...?

the problem is no cranking correct, it will not spin over ? not it cranks over & no start ?

do you have any flashing red led security light on dash ?

when you have key at start position , does any of interior lights dim down

have you checked all fuses ,

The ecm not recognizing from scanner is a problem if all fuses are good ,was your scanner capable of reading it before i assume correct ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Battery check out to be great radio on bright lights on inside light on low power loss! The Scan used to work! I do not know which fuse to check? All the lights on the dash light up turn the key over I can hear a click sound one second later sound like a coming from the starter
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I meant to say no power loss

1- I would take the starter out and bench test it '

2- the fuses ,just check the engine bay one, go across all of them with a test light & replace the one bad

3- there is also a obdII plug fuse ,test with text light if you have 12 volts on any of the obii pins , you should ,in case that is why you cant comunicate

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you I will do this tomorrow I have a Bunch athletes to train for track day I really like this communication first time trying it

you welcome ,

that cool i cross train 4 days a week :)

i m online daily from 10 am till late

just reply back when ready

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am a former Olympic runner 1984 and 88 Olympic gold malice 400m have a great day

oh wow , nice to meet you , i love sport :)

you to man great day

i m online daily , so just reply back when ready

cheers

Chad