Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

My 2011 Mercedes Benz Gl450 has a front differential noise

Customer Question

my 2011 Mercedes Benz Gl450 has a front differential noise problem. I had it already diagnozed but am trying to figure out the cheapest and best way to get it fixed. I saw a site that say a knowledgeable mechanic can replace the bearing instead of buying the whole assy
JA: What is the model of your '11 Mercedes?
Customer: GL450
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am looking at options on how to fix it. Mercedes charges $5500
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

All dealers will tell you that you need a new differential as Mercedes doesnt list the parts separate unfortunately.Even most shops will do the same.Usualy it is the internal bearings that fault and cause this issue here needing replaced.

You can purchase the bearings from this facility here and then you will need to locate a repair facility (a transmission shop may do this for you) that will remove your differential and repair it.

The cost is much cheaper to have it repaired cut down to maybe around 1/4 the cost versus replacing it.

The only other option here of course is to have it replaced.In some cases you can get a used differential from a place like shipped to you and have it installed for maybe around 1/3 of the cost.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please provide me with repair shops that can replace those bearings around where I live. I'm in Gurnee, IL
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

You might check into one of these two here

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete