Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

I have a 2015 S550 formative I bought new. I have under

Customer Question

I have a 2015 S550 formative I bought new. I have under 15,000 miles on it. How long should my tires last? I have it serviced regularly. It looks like my 2 front tires have wear on the outside of them. What could be causing that?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

Hello, it is very difficult to say how long tires would last, Too many variables, like alignments, rotations, brand of tires, rating of tires and so on. 15K, yes,, that is way to early for new tires. 45-50k? Then you are more in the range of a good tires and all maintenance taken care of, With this said? outside tire wear? this is from one of 2 things, Either your "Toe" adjustment is off some meaning, if you look down on top of the car, each front tire is pointing inward slightly, this wears the outside edge. camber can do this if tires leaning out at the top but this is rather uncommon meaning a front strut on each side is bad, I lean to "Toe " adjustment, I would suggest and alignment, Move front tires to rear to even out the wear pattern, Then keep an eye on things over time, Alignment out is the strongest possible.Generally an alignment should NOT be out on 15k car and a 2015 but surely can happen and that is what you need checked, Even a cheapo tire brand will not just wear on outside edges so has to be a front end thing, Alignment could have been off when shipped to dealer. I have seen that happen