sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I'm looking here for my son who is broken down on the

Customer Question

I'm looking here for my son who is broken down on the highway ... he has a 2008 passion he says he cannot get it to turn over
JA: What is the model of your '08 Mercedes?
Customer: smart 42 passion
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my husband is going to him now
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am not sure how much he can help at this point ... we should probably wait until we know more unless you think he can tell me something I can relay
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 88330 miles ... he says it has been starting normally but has had some trouble shifting into reverse ... he says he felt like it might have popped out of gear on the highway and that is why he stopped and now it won't start
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello an welcome to JustAnswer!

there are many things that can cause a no start condition, especially depending on what it's doing. It may be missing spark due to sensor, coil or wiring issue. It may be missing fuel pressure due to a failed pump or loss of power or ground to it. If it won't crank then the issue could be mechanical or electrical. It's possible that the engine controller itself isn't awake.

What happens when trying to start the engine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when we try to start the car the lights and radio come on but the engine does not turn over ... the battery had water around it for some reason ... the car was towed to our house
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
water visibly drained out when it was pulled up on the tow truck

Have you checked the voltage in the battery at rest?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my husband is headed out to check this now ... I am also reading on another forum about a known problem with drainage plugs in the battery compartment ... it is possible the transmission control has been damaged ?

It's possible there is a transmission issue.