Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Noticed a leak on the garage under the front driver seat of

Customer Question

noticed a leak on the garage under the front driver seat of a 2003 sl500 sl. Car is low and unable to raise it
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: normal driving condition abot 20 miles per days. hoses are about 3 to 5 year old
JA: Are you fixing your SL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing will tow it to my mechanic since I cannot raise the car in order to drive
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am unable to raise the car and the red warning "car too low to drive"
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** than likely one of the ABC suspension hoses has burst. There are some hoses located behind the left front wheel very close to the driver's seat. If a hose burst it would probably leak in that area. You should not start the motor in this condition. If you start the motor the ABC pump will run with no fluid and it will be damaged. Towing the car to the shop without starting the motor is best.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This leak look like oil. Will this leak cause the red warining in the dashboard?
Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

Yes, your SL has a hydraulic suspension system. It uses hydraulic oil in the suspension pump.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

The leak is the cause of your red warning light. Do not start the car with the system low on fluid or you could ruin the ABC suspension pump.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.