Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My clk320 will start and sound fine for about 30 seconds,

Customer Question

My clk320 will start and sound fine for about 30 seconds, then putters out and dies. Had MAF sensor, ERG, spark plugs, ignition coils, and spark plug wires replaced 2 months ago and car ran great. Can't figure out what else can be wrong.
JA: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?
Customer: Stalls about 30 seconds after starting. At first, I was able to drive it out to street, but had no power when I tried to accelerate. Now the engine dies before I can even put it in gear.
JA: What year is your CLK320?
Customer: 2003. It's the W209 model
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Was hoping to fix myself. Checked the MAF sensor again and seems fine. That's really all I've done.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. I described the work I've already done to it. Did that work in May/June because the engine was idling very rough. But after the work was done, the car ran beautifully until the recent problem I've described. The MAF and ERG were diagnosed and replaced by a certified mechanic.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** sounds like you may have a bad fuel pump. A fuel pressure test and fuel flow test should be performed to confirm the failure. You should have at least 52 - 54 psi when cranking or running.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for answering your question.