Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

Have a 2003 slk and the fan motor for ac and heat stopped

Customer Question

have a 2003 slk and the fan motor for ac and heat stopped working
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model of your '03 Mercedes?
Customer: SLK 230 metal convertible top
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing except check fuses. there are resistors i trust and it there is condedation, they usaully act up, correct
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it started acting up last year and when ypu push ac on and off couple times it would start working
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok here are the test steps to confirm a bad resistor and or blower motor. if you have any questions please let me know and i will do my best to guide you to a fix. i applied the steps in order to help find the fault quickly.

1. check fuse to see if it is blown and also make sure the fuse has power by checking with a test light. we need to check fuse 36 in the engine bay fuse box.
  2. access the blower and the resistor under the passenger side of the dash, check for positive power on the red wire , check for ground on the brown wire and check for any type of voltage with a meter on the white wire with a pink stripe. if you have power and ground and voltage on all 3 then the resistor is getting the proper power, we now need to check for power and ground on the wires coming from the resistor to the motor
  3. if one wire has power and the other has ground then the motor is bad, if there is no power or ground then the reistor is the issue.

i hope this helps, you will most likely have a failed blower motor and or resistor. Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again , Lou P.