Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

My E320 central locking, and the ignition key will not turn.

Customer Question

My E320 central locking , and the ignition key will not turn.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: steering wheel turns, key not damaged, batteries in key fob brand new.
JA: What year is your E320?
Customer: 1995
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NOT trying to fix it myself, checked the battery voltage (Good), checked fuses(seem OK)
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, drove it yesterday (fine all day) parked up last night, central locking would not function, tried to start it this morning, key would not turn, and still no central locking.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Is there a red security light flashing on dash ?

if you have the radio code because we going to needed after you connect the battery back up to make radio work ,we can try a master reset if you have not tried yet

if the reset dont work ,you will need a diagnostic scan with a star Mercedes diagnostic scanner or equivalent to retrieve fault codes.

it could be number of reasons, if the key circuit board went bad it will cause it, the ignition switch itself etc...

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side ( the metal blade key , in the key fob)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat