MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

I have a pre-owned 2005 Mercedes-Benz c240 4matic. I bought

Customer Question

Hi, I have a pre-owned 2005 Mercedes-Benz c240 4matic. I bought it (2 years back) when it had 140,000 miles on it. I recently thought of trading in my car and thus took the odometer reading only to realize it sitting on 240,000 miles. My average driving is about 10-15,000 miles / year. I was thus shocked and I did a quick distance test. The results confirmed that the digital odometer is over calculating the distance by ~70% (I drove for 22 miles and the odometer showed 38). I spoke to the local service center and they asked me to go to the Mercedes dealership. I am obviously vary of shelling out a ton of money to fix an already depreciated asset. I can thus use some expert advice and guidance (as to the problem that may be causing this, how to get it fixed, cost estimate etc.). Kindly help.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok so the first couple of things i want to know is

• are you sure it states miles and not kilometers
  • what size are your tires
  • have you a smart phone to compare the mph vs a speedometer app?

this is NOT a common issue so i will need you to work with me to resolve this. im sure we can find the root cause.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Lou, thanks for your response. Actually, the odometer was indeed set on KMS. So guess, we are good here.Thanks a lot for your help in this regard.