Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

Leaking gasoline but only when I put more than half tank of

Customer Question

Leaking gasoline but only when I put more than half tank of gas in the tank.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: same as usual. No leaks until just now I put 7 gallons in the tank. Now fuel dripping off the bracket just below the fuel tank.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1096 560SL
JA: What year is your 560SL?
Customer: 1986
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No fix for me - too old. Took it to local service station before ( last year ) they said it wasn't leaking.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes, leak only happens when I put more than a half tank of gas in it. Pretty bad leak - seems to stop when fuel tank gets lower on gas.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

1- most likely you have a hole in the tank, that is closer to the rim of the tank,when you filling up to top it will leak ,when it drops below the hole or crack in the tank where it is leaking it will stop leaking.

2- has the car been sitting ?

3- has gas been in tank for a long time ?

4- The tank has to be removed and inspected , that is a lot fuel leaking, it will cause fire , i would suggest not driving until fixed, I seen them leak from tank when they sit and gas in them for a long time

5-There is an o-ring around the fuel sender needs inspected for tear or cracks ?

6- ALSO MAKE SURE LEAK IS NOT COMING FROM FUEL PUMP & FILTER AT THE FRAME RAIL

1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL (107.048) V8-5.6L (117.967)

Save Article

FUEL TANK Capacity ............................................... 25.5 gal. (96 liters)

Save Article

OS47.10-P-0001-01A Disposing Of Fuel Tanks

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back & we will continue

If you are good , kindly rate me.

A Positive rating is much appreciated

This post will stay open for you even after you rate me for you to come back and ask any follow up question you may have on this issue

Thanks You
Chad Farhat