Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

2012 mercedes glk 350 can only start when battery terminal

Customer Question

2012 mercedes glk 350 can only start when battery terminal is disconnected and re connected and only while key is iin the on position and only then can you start by touching the starter solenoid.if you turn key to off position you must disconnect and reconnect the battery terminal.also the key does not come out and radio wont come on.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not had the fault codes read out with either a dealers sds machine or a compatible scan tool to see what codes are set this needs done.If any codes are set this will help diagnose the issue here.I have seen issues in some cases with the electronic ignition switch (EIS) cause this type of fault here needing replaced.If this has not been checked into this should be done to see if this is the cause here.

One major fault we have seen is an issue with the electronic steering lock.If it is not disengaging this will keep the engine from starting.When you insert the key see if you hear a motor buzz noise on the steering column.If you do not most likely it is at fault.In some cases you can tap on this lock and it may operate indicating it needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete