Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

I have a 2004 Mercedes Benz S500,, W220. I had a speed

Customer Question

Good morning. I have a 2004 Mercedes Benz S500, , W220. I had a speed sensor failure which cause the ABS light, ABS warning, ESP warning, pre save inactive warning comma to come on as well as the check engine light. The cruise control also became inactive because of this. The problem was found with the left rear speed sensor and it was replaced and now all four wheels are sending the same speed according to the diagnosis tool which we used when driving the car at speeds up to 55 miles an hour. But the cruise control will not come on. All of the fault codes have been cleared. But when I try to set the cruise control no speed comes up but rather the dashes where the miles per hour would show, and then it shuts off after about 2 seconds and this cruise control never sets.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

The distronic unit controls the cruise and sends a signal to esp module .

1-you problem will be between the 2, if the can bus between them is bad it want engage

2- or the proximity module is bad ,the proximity switch

3- cruise control switch

4- esp module itself

but you need to run a scan using a star diagnostic system or equivalent to run a test on the system

so we can be more accurate is to what components failed

2004 Mercedes Benz S 500 (220.175) V8-5.0L (113.960)

Save Article

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Cruise Control Vacuum Hose

(###) ###-####$129.00

Proximity Switch

On Console

22082126587C45 $115.00

Save Article

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Cruise Control Module

Proximity Module

(###) ###-####$1670.00

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace Proximity Module

B 0.5 0.6

Group Results by Information Type

Parts and Labor

5 records

Cruise Control components

Cruise Control Module

Cruise Control Servo

Cruise Control Switch

Cruise Control Vacuum Hose

Function requirements - "Circuit 61 ON" (engine running) - ESP not deactivated - Parking brake not applied - DIRECT SELECT gear selector switch (S16/13) in "D" position - By pressing the CC [TPM] switch (S40/4) a switchover to the DISTRONIC position must take place (LIM indicator lamp off) - Dirt/function test of DTR radar sensor (A89b1) completed successfully - Brake pedal not actuated - Speed of the vehicle <30 km/h Dirt/function test To guarantee smooth functioning of the radar system after each engine start, the DTR control unit (A89n1) performs a dirt/function test of the radar sensor. If a malfunction is established or no objects (for the function test) are available in the radar sensor detection range, DISTRONIC cannot be activated and the message 'DISTRONIC not available appears in the multifunction display (A1p13) of the instrument cluster (A1). The DTR control unit actuates the radar sensor, evaluates the radar sensor data and then transmits this data via the drive dynamic CAN to the ESP control unit (N47-5). Following evaluation of all sensor data and input signals, the ESP control unit takes over control of the entire longitudinal movement of the vehicle in DISTRONIC operation. For this purpose, it sends signals (for shifting gear, accelerating or decelerating) via the drive CAN to the corresponding control units. The ESP control unit also actuates warning chimes and displays in the instrument cluster.

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,just reply back & we will continue

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat