Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

Replaced the alternator in my 01 s600 but get the battery

Customer Question

Replaced the alternator in my 01 s600 but get the battery charge icon. Replaced battery and alternator. I'm guessing it has to be cabling or a defect alternator
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Double check and make sure the battery cables are clean and tight and the connections at the alternator are clean and tight and properly connected as well.If all of these are or were checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
everything is tight and clean. I'm not sure if its the hidden fuse panel in the pass side floor or the sam under the rear seat
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Let me look at some diagrams and I will post back here shortly.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Inspect in your passenger front fuse panel fuse #49 (15 amp) and see if it is blown needing replaced.If this is found to be o.k. let me know.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Under hood fuse panel in the passenger front engine bay area.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Let me know what you see when your ready.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fuse checked out ok. What does that fuse do? When i first got the car the alt would charge the battery some at higher rpms and i would never get a battery charge icon on the dash until i got new alt put in.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

The fuse powers signals to energize and help operate the alternator.

If the issue with the charge light did not occur until after you replaced the alternator I would have the facility you purchased the alternator from test and see if you received a faulty alternator and see if you can get a replacement under parts warranty from them as most parts facilities will do.This may very well be that the replacement you installed is faulty.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you think it's a faulty alt? It's a reman from duralast. Only reason i choose that was they are supposed to check everything before sending them out and have a long warranty. It's a pain to remove that alt
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I wouldnt remove it.Take your vehicle to a local parts store and have them test it to see if it is faulty.They can test it with it in the vehicle.If found faulty then contact where you purchased it and see if they will reimburse replacement costs as well as replace it with another one.

Duralast usually makes some cheaper parts so there is a chance that it is not charging properly.

Thanks Pete